4.30.2009

recipe: taco skillet

Not a gourmet meal or a stretch by any means, but I spotted this recipe while flipping though the latest issue of Cooking Light and figured - inexpensive and quick...why not? It cooked up in less than the stated 20 minutes and was pretty tasty, with a few of my own additions/changes (in italics). DH really liked it and asked for a repeat. I think it could still use a few more things to spice it up and add more color so, I'll try them next time I work this in the rotation. Beef Taco Skillet
(adapted from a Campbell's recipe)

1 lb. ground beef (I used lean ground turkey)
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. hot sauce
1 can Campbell's tomato soup (I used Healthy Request)
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup water
6 flour tortillas (6"), cut into 1" pieces
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream
steamed brown rice

1. Cook beef (or turkey) in a 10" skillet until well browned, stirring to break up meat. While cooking, add garlic, chili powder and hot sauce to flavor through. Pour off fat.

2. Stir in soup, salsa, water and tortilla pieces. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Top with cheese and allow to melt. Serve over brown rice and add a dollop of sour cream to each serving. Yield: 4 servings.

(* Next time, I plan to saute a diced onion and green pepper before adding the meat to brown and will also add another 1/2 tsp. hot sauce along with the soup, etc.)

1 comments:

Aurie said...

yummy! I might have to try this :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails