Boys are found everywhere - on top of, underneath, inside of, climbing on, swinging from, running around or jumping to. Mothers love them...and Heaven protects them. A boy is Truth with dirt on its face, Beauty with a cut on its finger, Wisdom with bubble gum in its hair and the Hope of the future with a frog in its pocket. - Alan Marshall BeckMy sweet George,
The past year has been the most transformative of my life all because of you. On a cold, sunny Christmas Eve one year ago at 8:36 am, you screamed your way into the world and made me your Mama. From the moment your Baba brought you over to me in the operating room so I could kiss your tiny cheek, you gave me purpose and filled my heart in a way I never would have imagined. The first time I looked into your original grey, wide, startled eyes I vowed to teach you, love you and protect you as much as a mother can.
Now, one year later I want to you to know that you are an absolute joy. You have filled my life and our home with giggles and dimply grins, squeals and shrieks, mountains of diapers and such unwavering love. You have changed so much from that 7 lb, 14 ounce swaddled bundle to the rough and tumble, sturdy, gorgeous (I'm your Mama so I can say so!) 22 pound toddler you are today. I adore every bit of you and the darling boy you are becoming.
At one year you:
- weigh 22 pounds, 8 ounces (50%) and stand 30 3/4 inches tall (77%).
- have two teeth on the bottom and two more on the top that decided to start pushing their way through today, your birthday.
- have started walking, a few wobbly steps at a time. You took your very first steps for Baba on December 11, 2010. You prefer to crawl or cruise right now because it's much faster but, I think you'll likely be running circles around us in a few weeks time.
- make coffee for us every morning. You love buttons and gadgets so, Baba taught you how to press the power button on the coffee maker. Each morning you point to the kitchen and and motion to us to hold you up to the machine. You press the button (usually with your left hand), giggle as the machine starts and wave "bye-bye" to the beans as they are pulled into the grinder. I can't think of a brighter way to start breakfast each day.
- say: Mama, Baba, YiaYia, Voom (for 'vroom' as you push your cars and trucks), Ba (for balloon and bottle), 'Did it' and 'Got it'.
- love your books. You'll sit and flip through page by page for long periods of time and you bring us your favorites to read to you, over and over. You enjoy touch/feel books and any that have us making animal sounds.
- are getting better at following direction. You will pull your hand back when we say "No touch", which is helpful when we are visiting new places.
- when asked (in both English and Greek) you will wave hello or good-bye, clap and give kisses.
- are so good with other babies. You are curious and want to see what they are doing but, play gently.
- are a climber! You climb into drawers, on to the couch and ottoman and on top of your large toys.
- are fearless. You dive right into new situations from climbing to exploring new places to crawling up stairs (even though we have none in our home and never taught you!).