9.28.2010

itching to get back to it...

Mr. Boom and I have been talking for weeks about both of us needing some "me-time" and with the way we have filled our weekends in the past couple of months, it's been impossible.

What now? One weekend each month we will decline any invitations, refrain from travel and just keep things low-key and close to home. If we can accomplish this then we will devote the weekend to switching off with one-on-one time with G, while the other indulges in a hobby, reading, a nap or whatever we'd like to do.

My itch? Scrapbooking. I've been a scrapbooker since 1996 and have albums upon albums brimming with pages of my single life, my family, travels and the story of my relationship with Mr. Boom. There is one huge, glaring hole in those albums. I am ashamed to say that I have not created a single page for G.

Not. One.

It's certainly not for lack of photos. Got those. Not even for lack of printed pics. I have some of those too, and more on the way as I type. The lack of time is the kicker. Since no one has yet come up with a way to add more hours into the day, my hobby is the thing that is constantly pushed to the bottom of the to-do list and is never crossed off.

So, what's the plan?
  1. Organize: my on-hand supplies are in G's closet. This Sunday, I will carve out some time better organize what I have so that I can easily pull from my stash when I find the time to scrap.
  2. Make page-kits: On days I am home from work, I will aim to put together 2-3 page kits while G plays next to me in his room. I can use his dresser/changer as a makeshift workspace. If page kits are handy (with photos, too!), I'll likely be much more productive when I can actually sit down to do a page.
  3. Create space: Dedicated space? Not happening now but, that's okay. An on-going goal is to keep our kitchen table free of mail, baby stuff and general clutter. Today a large part of the surface is covered with boxes of everything leftover from G's baptism. Need to find alternative space and re-claim the table.
  4. Scrap: Whenever I can steal 15-30 minutes (at night, while watching t.v.) and those low-key weekend days. I am not going to strive for publication worthy pieces of art. My goal is to create nice, simple pages that tell the story. Likely, many of them will be scraplifted from my existing albums or magazines. It's okay! G won't care and, really, I won't either in the long run.

Got it mapped out now, just need to set things in motion. And...go!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

page kits are the only way that i get anything done :)

Anonymous said...

I think your idea to carve out some "me" time for both of you is awesome! Good luck with the scrapbooking.

Jes said...

sounds like a great plan! i love the idea of creating kits, and it's so important to have that time - for your mental health!

Anonymous said...

Go mama go!

nfaband said...

Yay ... I can't wait to see your pages again, they were always some of my favorites on the scrapping boards. Good luck Jen.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails