Swiss Casserole Chicken
6 chicken breast halves
4 slices swiss cheese
1 - 10 3/4 ounce can cream of mushroom soup (*I used cream of chicken)
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp crushed garlic (*modification)
2 cups instant stuffing mix (such as Stove Top)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1. Lay chicken breasts in slow cooker, top with cheese slices. Combine soup, milk and minced garlic in a small bowl and spoon over cheese. Sprinkle stuffing mix over top. Drizzle melted butter over stuffing mix.
2. Cook on low 8-10 hours or, high 3-4 hours. (I cooked on high for 3 hrs 15 minutes and it was perfect)
- Mr. B thinks adding some dried cranberries to the stuffing mix would be a nice addition, providing a bit of a sweet/salty twist. I agree and will definitely try this next time.
- I would recommend using low-sodium soup, low-sodium stuffing or both. You can always add salt but, can't take it away. Next time I'll try one low-sodium option and see if it helps a bit. Although this dish was certainly not over-salted, I'm just not used to cooking with a lot of salt which effects my palette with some recipes.
- I think any hard, sliced cheese would work for this dish. Swiss adds a very subtle flavor. If you are a cheese lover, maybe try cheddar for more flavor impact.
Please excuse the lack of a photo this time around - it was dark by the time we got around to eating and, frankly, it smelled way too delicious to put off dinner for a picture!